Don's Pages

Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Street Photography Colour

Redbubble Meetup:

Here are some colour shots from the recent RedBubble Friends meet, I'll be showing B&W versions on a separate post. Don't forget, you can see all these pics much bigger if you click on any one and browse through the whole lot. You might be interested to read the experiences of the trip below as well. We had a great time and learned a lot from one another. Many thanks to my RedBubble Friends; Tony and Lana (please check out their works by clicking on their names. You'll love it!

If you don't like photography, you may like just watching Ralph McTell singing his awesome song, "The Streets of London" below. I love reviewing this page and listening to the song as I re-read. 

A photography trip to London with friends from Redbubble.

Last Saturday I met up with some good friends that I met through RedBubble. We've been friends there for a few years, sharing photos and experiences etc. So felt it was OK to meet with them. I'd be very careful about who you meet-up with through websites though, a word of advice, never meet someone alone. There were only four of us and it was a public meeting. We were all different (sounds cliché) but so very true. Three men and one woman. Sounds like a kids story doesn't it... One good thing was that we all had the same make of camera with us; Nikon. I also had my trusty new Fujifilm Finepix HS50exr and was soooo glad that I took it along. (You can check my Hands on Review Here) It's amazing the differences between it and my Nikon D700 for street photography. Next time we do it, I think I'd take only my Fuji with me. Needless to say, I was carrying too much and this did hamper my freedom of movement. You learn from experience.

Malcolm, Lana and Tony. I'm taking the pic:-)
At Liverpool Street Station. McDonalds' Coffee.
We arranged to meet at Liverpool Street Station in London. It was quite funny, Tony got a call from Lana asking our whereabouts, she was on the phone and standing right in front of us, but couldn't see us. Tony said, "are you standing in front of McDonalds'?" she said, "Yes!" He said, "Are you  with a man with a big camera around his neck?" "She said, "Yes!" He said, "Have you got a great big Nikon around your neck?" She said "Yes!" and at that moment she spotted us. We did have a great big LOL then. Lana originates from Russia, Tony from London and Malcolm from Ipswich and me from Edinburgh.

Liverpool Street Station Entrance. Malcolm.

Liverpool Street Station at McDonalds'



Statue outside Liverpool Street Station. 

Liverpool Street Station

Fruit Seller, Liverpool Street Station.
After a coffee at McDonald's and a brief intro and chat we decided that Camden Market would be a great place to visit. So we hopped on a Tube Train (various changes) and made our way. It soon became apparent to everyone that even though I live in London, we rarely use the Tube, so we had to resort to asking directions and looking at tube-maps. iPhone came in handy for this. Made me wish I'd brought my iPad along with Photographers Ephemeris and Google Maps.

The Tube Journey Pics:

I took quite a few snaps on the Tube and platforms.
One thing about being with other photographers is that you get a boldness to take shots you wouldn't normally both with or be brave enough to attempt whilst on your own. A great reason to meet-up with others.



Marie Antionette by Donald Davis on 500px.com
Marie Antionette by Donald Davis

People don't normally chat to one another on the trains, probably because nobody want to appear mad, but we all had a great laugh and chatted freely, sometimes to complete strangers too. You've got to be bold when photographing on the tube train, no point in being half hearted, just go for it. I've found that as I take photos within a short space of time I became less concerned about what people may be thinking about me taking photos and more able to concentrate on what I was capturing. However, there is a battle of nerves each and every time with street or public photography to contend with. Should I shouldn't I? These questions assail your head, but on a trip like this for a few hours in good company and taking some risks, you'll notice your confidence increasing moment by moment. Until someone says "NO! Don't take my picture" then you have to start all over again. Or as in my case, take the shot and thank them anyway. Telling people how good they look always seems to work for me.

More Shots from the Tube Ride to Camden Market.

I was intrigued with the two women sitting next to me. The older lady was quite articulated with her hands which were full of rings and jewellery.






Camden Market

Camden Market is still definitely the HUB of the Alternative Scene. Whatever is weird is normal in Camden. Once the place for Hippies, then Punks now Goths and a mix of all three and every shade in between. You'll love Camden Market and the Lock with it's Bars, Food Stalls and Open air alternatives.

As we approached Camden, the Tube Train began to fill up considerable until we were all crammed in like Sardines in a Tin. I knew the Market would be packed with people, it always is on a Saturday.
I was still using my Fujifilm Finepix HS50exr. And was soon to discover the delights of the swivel screen and 1000mm Zoom reach in the crowded market.
Fantastic for distance candid shots (enabling me to be unobtrusive), but I also liked the in your face ability too.




As we progressed down Camden High Street; two things seemed to be jumping out at me to capture today; Street signs and hair styles. It's such a delight the diversity in London; so many different forms of dress, style, look, apparell, take a look and you'll soon discover there is NO single fashion style that you've got to have to fit in here in London.

Let Me Take You To London:

Ralph McTell singing.
"Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London, I'll show you something that'll make you change your mind." Just a line from the amazing song. Posted from Youtube. Love that song. (Keep Scrolling for more photos).

Camden Street Scenes & Signs:

There are so many, it would be difficult to capture them all in just one visit.
I really like the colour the fujifilm HS50 produces. Look at all those lovely flags blowing in the wind.
Malcolm chatting with a man, I'm sure he was about to ask for a photo. 
See, Camden Market:-) 





I loved these amazing building in Camden. All decorated with sticky-out-thingy-ma-bobs.
Definitely makes for interesting shots. 
I thought the pilot must have been in one of the bars up the street. 
Looks at the close up below.
Amazing Giant Sized Shoes.
Don't know anyone with feet that big. Perhaps, I do :-)
A Zoom down Camden High Street towards Camden Lock.
Notice the other Big Boot, I've got some close ups of that one too.
If you've come down this page so far, thanks very much for being so interested. I'm going to upload the next series on a new page now:
Link Here (when it's done).

Camden Continues Shortly... 
Don't forget, I've still got some shots from Kings Cross & Brick Lane from this day out too. 
But if you are ever in London, I hope you'll be inspired enough to take a trip to this part of town. Camden Market and Lock is definitely the 'alternative scene' but such an thrilling experience. It's the people that make a place and everyone here seemed more than friendly. If you want to give candid or street photography a try, you couldn't find a better grounding.

Check out Don's Zazzle Store.




make custom gifts at Zazzle










Google+ Badge

There was an error in this gadget