Don's Pages

Monday, 25 February 2013

Plymouth Sound: One a Day 2013


Plymouth Sound


Every time I visit the South West of England, I make a special pilgrimage to Plymouth Sound, the Barbican and Plymouth Hoe. Why? Well, I spent so much of my life here in Plymouth. I left Scotland at just 16 years old to join the Royal Navy and I served at HMS Raleigh and fell in love with Devon and Cornwall. When serving on-board HMS Ark Royal, I'd be standing on the flight deck going in and out of this great harbour. We had to stand for hours sometimes, but I always felt so proud manning ship. At 19 years of age I met my wife to be Julie and as we began courting she'd travel up from Cornwall and I'd try and get down to see her as often as possible. At 20 we were married and had a child on the way. Our five children were born in Plymouth at Freedom Fields Hospital and I was also Born Again in Plymouth at St Budeaux Parish Church.

This view of Plymouth Sound and the Hoe sea front is also particularly poignant for me, I watched all my children splash around in the pools and clamber on the rocks below, so this always brings back happy memories of glorious summer days for our family.


More Views of Plymouth Sound and Plymouth Hoe.



Google+ Badge

There was an error in this gadget